A lot has happened in horse racing since I began to write about it in 2014. Here are my favourite things I’ve written along the way.
Beyond Race Day: These include columns, features, and observations beyond individual races.
- Abe’s Hope: One of the Few Illinois-Breds To Make the Kentucky Derby
- An Ode to Eight Gauge
- Arlington Million Magic
- A Tiny Bit of Track Etiquette
- Claimed Away
- Conquest Stables: From Chicago to the Pinnacle of Horse Racing
- Conversations, Peppermints, and Why I Get Up Early on Saturdays
- Did You Wear a Big Hat?
- For Gerald Aschinger’s Runners, Success Is In Their Blood
- Goodbye, Bigtime Mac
- Illinois-bred Multiple Graded Stakes Winner Free Fighter Retired
- Mubtaahij: From Dubai to the Kentucky Derby, via Arlington Park
- On Tanks, and Racing Coming Full Circle
- Tampa Bay Downs, Chicago Style
Races: These include handicapping previews and race recaps: writing tied to individual races.
- 2014 Addison Cammack Handicap Preview
- In Different Silks, Babybluesbdancing Continues a Legacy in the Pat Whitworth Illinois Debutante
- Looking at the Presque Isle Masters…
- Preview: Hawthorne 8th, October 25, 2014
- Saint Leon Goes Wire-To-Wire To Win Third Straight Arlington Sprint
- Stormin Elle, Cammack Reward Patient Connections with Stakes Wins at Arlington Park
Breeding: These include articles that focus on breeding or pedigree.
- A Look at Top Producer Taxable Deduction
- Curlin babies out of A. P. Indy Mares
- Illinois-breds at Keeneland September: Book 6
- Illinois Sires: Greytap
- The Golden Bloodline of N. C. Goldust
Handicapping: These do not cover handicapping a single race, but speak to handicapping strategy more broadly.
- Equestricon’s NHC Qualifier: A Beginner’s Guide
- Finding Value in Extended Sprints
- Survivor Strategies, and Condition Book Horses
- Using Trainer/Jockey Combinations to Find Value
Verse: Sometimes, prose just can’t contain our sport.