Horse racing inspires a certain prolificacy among those who write about it. It is inevitable: after all, a race card contains eight or more races a day, and any race is going to have at least as many stories behind it as there are horses entering the starting gate. Even though most of my focus stays with Chicago racing, Curlin babies, and the odd stakes race elsewhere, there have been no shortage of reasons to write since Blinkers Off began in January 2014.
My writing page offers a complete look at where my racing writing has been published. These are my favourite pieces so far.
Beyond Race Day: These include columns, features, and observations beyond what goes on the track.
- Abe’s Hope: One of the Few Illinois-Breds To Make the Kentucky Derby
- An Ode to Eight Gauge
- A Tiny Bit of Track Etiquette
- Calling It a Meet
- Claimed Away
- Conquest Stables: From Chicago to the Pinnacle of Horse Racing
- Conversations, Peppermints, and Why I Get Up Early on Saturdays
- Did You Wear a Big Hat?
- For Gerald Aschinger’s Runners, Success Is In Their Blood
- Goodbye, Bigtime Mac
- On Harassment, Sports Analysis, and Perspective
- Illinois-bred Multiple Graded Stakes Winner Free Fighter Retired
- Mubtaahij: From Dubai to the Kentucky Derby, via Arlington Park
- On Tanks, and Racing Coming Full Circle
Races: These include handicapping previews and race recaps: writing tied to individual races.
- 2014 Addison Cammack Handicap Preview
- Looking at the Presque Isle Masters…
- Preview: Hawthorne 8th, October 25, 2014
- Saint Leon Goes Wire-To-Wire To Win Third Straight Arlington Sprint
- Scott Becker Sweeps the Sprint Stakes
- Stormin Elle, Cammack Reward Patient Connections with Stakes Wins at Arlington Park
- Two Stakes, Three Winners at Hawthorne
Breeding: These include articles that focus on breeding or pedigree.
- A Look at Top Producer Taxable Deduction
- Curlin babies out of A. P. Indy Mares
- Illinois-breds at Keeneland September: Book 6
- Illinois Sires: Forest Attack
- Illinois Sires: Greytap
Handicapping: These do not cover handicapping a single race, but speak to handicapping strategy more broadly.
Verse: Sometimes, horse racing inspires poetry.